Top 10 list - weird travel advice
- To encourage a good deep sun tan eat plenty of carrots and apricots from about a month before you go away.
- Combat jet lag with a ball point pen. Take the blunt end and press it into the ball of your big toe several times. This massages a pressure point that relieves tiredness and nausea.
- To stop your feet swelling in flight try a Chinese remedy - put your feet in brown paper bags, then put your flight socks over the top.
- To help children overcome varying pressure on takeoff and landing get them to do impressions of a hippo or crocodile - opening their mouths really wide will help equalise the pressure in their ears.
- On the beach half fill a carrier bag with sand a put it under your towel for a hard but comfortable pillow.
- Eating garlic keeps mosquitoes (and everyone else) away.
- If you're bitten by insects reduce irritation with an ice cube.
- If you get sunburnt and don't have aftersun dab on vinegar to ease the pain.
- Stop creepy crawlies getting into bed with you by applying Vaseline or shaving gel around the legs of your bed
- Tarantulas usually come in pairs - so if you find one, look for the other one