Looking for cheap hotel to add to your cheap flight? The rapid expansion of the budget airlines has fuelled an explosion in weekend and short breaks. But booking the flight is the easy part; next you have to find a cheap hotel.
(If you're looking for a cheap airport hotel visit airport-hotels- guide.co.uk for a complete guide to UK airport hotels)
Although there are lots of 'cheap hotel' websites, there aren't many good cheap hotel booking websites. Most 'cheap hotel' websites don't have online booking or online availability and the choice is often limited.
Here we recommend a collection of great cheap hotel booking websites, each offering an excellent choice and rock bottom prices - where you can book online.
We've split the cheap hotel websites between Europe and Worldwide, but before we get to them, we offer some advice and tips on how to get the best deal.
How to book a cheap hotel
- As with most sections of this web site, our first piece of advice is to shop around for your cheap hotel. Check out a couple of the cheap hotel booking websites recommended below, but also see if the airline you booked with offers cheap hotel deals for passengers.
- Unlike flights, as long as there is no conference or major event in your destination (and you can check that at whatsonwhen), you will often find the best deal by leaving booking late. Booking between two and seven days in advance usually yields the cheapest hotel rooms. But don't wait until the day as prices go back up.
- The cheap hotel booking sites negotiate discounted rates based on volume so it's usually cheaper to buy through them. Usually, but not always. Don't be afraid to try the direct approach. Even if you don't speak the language, most hotels have a receptionist who speaks English. Or you can e-mail them. Either way, to get a cheap hotel rate you must ask if they have any special offers.
- Sometimes adding a weekend night will lower the rate for all of the other nights of your stay.
- Compare prices, but compare locations too. It's usually worth paying a little extra to be nearer the centre of town, or your preferred attraction.
- Don't just rely on 'star' ratings. Look at the facilities the hotel has and rank hotels based on the facilities' importance to you.
- If you want a cheap hotel at the weekend, look at hotels in or near business districts. Business people only want hotels during the week. These hotels are usually of a 'superior' standard but, in order to attract weekend custom, they offer excellent weekend deals.
- Find out more about the hotel before you book via links on our 'about your holiday' page.
- If breakfast isn't included in your room rate, eat at a local café. It's usually cheaper, fresher and better than in your hotel.
Where to book a cheap hotel
Cheap European Hotels
Superbreak - have a database of over 2,500 hotels worldwide, but their main focus is the UK and Europe. With a quick search engine, you can find a cheap hotel quickly and simply then book it online. Room rates, facilities, grades, detailed descriptions and even photos are available for most hotels.
Active Hotels - is one of Europe's leading online reservation providers. Book anything from 5-star quality leisure and corporate hotels to unique independent hotels, B&Bs and guesthouses in key European destinations.
Venere - a great choice of European hotels, they are particularly strong for Spain, France & Italy. This link takes you to a list of European destinations, click on your destination, enter your dates and you'll be presented with a wide range of hotels.
A cheap hotel in Europe and beyond....
Hotels.com / travelnow.com - one of the worlds biggest hotels booking websites, Hotels.com use their bulk buying muscle to offer 'special internet rates' - guaranteed rooms with 'best buy' prices. This link is direct to their hotels search page. Pick (or enter) a destination and your dates, for a long list of hotels. You can then sort the results by 'best value', 'quality', 'price' or 'A-Z' or refine your search to a specific area or near a landmark (there is a drop down list of landmarks).
Expedia - another mention for the UK's number one online travel agent. As you would expect a very good site that's always worth a look, especially if you want flights too (or flights, a hotel and a car). If you book a hotel and flight together with expedia the whole thing can work out 20 - 30% cheaper than booking them seperately via a discount flight and cheap hotel website. (But don't buy their insurance - which is automatically added into the quote - it's up to 4 times more expensive than those on our travel insurance page. Click 'already have insurance' and buy elsewhere).
Worldres / placestostay.com - this website provides the hotels pages of many well known brands, including some of lastminute.com's hotels and all of Opodo's. With prices up to 70% off published rates, for the last two years Forbes has called WorldRes "Best of the Web" in online hotel reservations.
Travel-Hounds.com is a large US hotel & lodging directory. They offer hotel rooms (or lodging accommodation) within the United States with great rates and detailed hotel guides for visitors.
Lastminute.com - if you're travelling lastminute to a 'mainstream' destination such as Paris, Dublin, Amsterdam, Barcelona, or New York, include lastminute within your cheap hotel search. A regular place for bargains, you might be lucky.
Allrez.com - this link takes you to the allrez city hotels page. They have a 'refine search' section at the bottom of the page, but it doesn't work that well. The quickest way is to get an idea of the hotel you want with the companies above, then search for that hotel by name (and check the price) at Allrez.