Top 10 list - things to do whilst stranded at the airport
- People watch - there are few places more emotionally charged than airports. Play 'people bingo'! For tear-jerkers, linger at gates with departing flights. For happier moments, stick to arrivals. Try matching people with their partners, kids with their parents. Pick a couple of colours and count the people entering the room wearing them. The list is endless!
- Call your mum, dad, brother or sister - what better time? You have nothing else to do so you can spend some quality time and really focus on the conversation.
- Have a picnic - invest your left over currency (or coins if you're still in the UK) in coffee or cold drinks, fast food and sweets. Find a spot on the floor and enjoy.
- Catch up on your reading list - there's always an airport bookshop. Pick up a trashy novel and enjoy.
- Discover a new magazine - buy a magazine you would never subscribe to and read it cover to cover. Men might try Cosmopolitan as an eye openerů..
- Get to know the airport pub or bar - you may pay £5 for a beer, but the entertainment is free and people watching in a bar is more fun than at any other place in the airport.
- Strike up a conversation - there's nothing like a flight delay to bring people together. Each update brings smiles or frowns. Use the next icebreaker to start a conversation with that friendly person seated next to you!
- Plan your holiday or your first few weeks at home - a holiday is a great time to review your priorities. Get out a notebook and plan your week or your life. Some of the most perceptive observations can be made thousands of miles from home.
- Sleep - but without an alarm clock or alert companion, this one must be done very carefully.
- Watch the screen for updates, argue with your travelling companions and shout at the airport staff. Not recommended, but around 30% of people stranded at an airport choose to do it anyway!